Monday, October 24, 2005

As I was gently reminded that I haven't updated my blog in a awhile, there is actually much to tell. First Kyan and I received a 41 out of a possible 45 points at a mock Rally-O trial at our last obedience class. We are waiting to hear if we are enrolled in sub-novice obedience, which the final exam is is a CGC exam! How cool would that be, to start the new year with our first title! Anyway, I get ahead of myself as I am still hoping to either enroll or at least audit the "reactive dog" class at A Click Above where we train. I think with the combination of training, homeoptahy and the realization that I am not the Alpha in our pack, I think we can may some headway with Kyan's reactiveness.
My husband has been telling me for some time now (ok, ever since Kyan came home) that I wasn't asserting myself as the Alpha and that Kyan was walking all over me and had me wrapped around his little paw. It turns out he was absolutely correct. I never made Kyan "work" for anything, would treat him with favoritism, and didn't positively correct behaviors. I know, I know, I should know better, but I am making ammends, both dogs work for everything they get, and I don't allow things to slide just because I'm tired or feel too busy, I take time to analyze everything I do with them now. They are good companions, but I wasn't a very good guardian in the way I was treating them. I promise to do better, they deserve it. They have already made some remarkable strides, we three can go on a walk together without Kyan deciding that he is going to chase after a squirrel or Moxie trying to be a sled dog. They truly seem happier too, I will try to better about updating my progress in becoming Alpha of my pack.
Moxie and I are waiting to hear if we are enrolled in "contacts and weaves" she and I are doing well, but I still don't feel comfortable enough to just enter in a agility trial. This is a public announcement to my husband that we really need to work on making those weave poles, please!
Kyan is entered this weekend in a local AKC show, and for the very first time, he will be in the ring with his full brother, I purposefully entered him in Am. Bred so that we could go in for winners dog and be compared side by side with him. I may have my friend Brandi show him for me as he always slugs around the ring for me, and he handles beautifully for her.
Rabbit was the menu this evening, in fact I need to order some more. I have a couple hundred pounds of deer, but the key to prey model raw feeding is variation. I just don't have the facility to raise rabbits and I also need to learn more from my friend Sheryl, of Daybreak Aussies before I go down that road. More tomorrow, I swear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home